Popular Posts

HAIRDO's #7 - THE ETERNAL ROLL

So, I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending in my favourite hangout, the internet, in the following days to come (you have to add a little sarcasm to that) - I'll be busy rehearsing, preparing costumes, running around on burlesque belly dance and Japanese fan dance workshops, warm up clubs and such.
But, meanwhile I'll keep you and your fingers busy with a new tutorial:

Eddi says his grandmother used to wear her hair like this. This do most likely even has some name that I just don't know of. It's easy to make and good for the days your hair is starting to get a little dirty or messy from old curls. But it will also work when your locks are too clean and light. If my hair is any of the two first options I like to make the do a bit loose and messy and if my hair is newly washed I roll it sleek and tightly. When rolled loosely with curly brushed out hair you can also imitate something of a belle époque look, and why not add some piece of jewellery too. But more on the variations later.

(You've seen the do here and here before for example.)

I'm making mroe of the messy do here; my hair is a bit frizzy and I'm in a hurry.


First, brush out the hair and keep it in your normal parting. I guess you could pin the hair in the back to keep the crown sleek, but I don't.

Start by twisting your hair upwards. I start a little bit before my parting. You have to twist quite tightly in the beginning as the roll will loosen up before you have the time to pin it. Keep on twisting along your hair line.

When you reach the ear you can stick in a pin to secure it, in this case my hair is messy enough so I won't need to.

Keep on rolling past the ear and downwards, grabbing more hair along. Roll it rather tiglty (and yes, it looks disguisting when the skin stretches but it will loosen up:)


When rolling the back, try to make sure all hairs join the roll, and that no sections are too puffy on the top of your head. You can correct this a little bit afterwards while pinning too, or in between if your grip on the roll is hard enough.


The tricky part is the other ear. Just keep on rolling past it, don't let go.

When you reach the beginning of your roll you start twisting the hair around it again. It sounds a bit tricky but it's actually not! You might have to do it a bit slower at this point and really twist and roll it to make it stay.

Secure with bobby pins; stick them in the roll. You can also use bigger pins in the back, twist them into the hair to make the roll stay.

Zig zag your hair a bit if it feels too tight by pressing the roll towards your headwith your hands, although remember the roll will loosen up after a while.

Correct and sleek uneven sections with you hands and/or a comb, spray or add your product of preference.



This will work on shorter and longer hair; the shorter the hair the thinner the roll will be.

You can also make the roll in two parts; one in front and another in the back (like the "back roll 'do". And, also, you can use a rat in both the front and the back for a bigger do, both in the all-round version but especially if you choose to make one in the front and another in the back.

This is a great do for small hats as they will fit nicely on in the middle of your roll. If it's very cold and your little ears will freeze without being covered up, you can use a head band, like I do here.

So, good luck with the rolling. And remember, if you ever try out any of these hairdo's I'd love to see pictures!

ps. mini version of the tutorial: click!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...